The Great Lakes provide an exciting and interesting theme for a lesson, unit or field experience. Our education staff are always willing to offer support and expertise in blending your GLA visit with classroom curriculum. We have a variety of teaching kits and materials available to you at no extra charge. Contact us at 218-740-2027 or email@example.com for information or ideas.
Lake Effects: The Lake Superior Curriculum Guide for Grades K-8
Explore the physical, biological and cultural components of Lake Superior.
Click here to download a PDF copy.
Science Institute for Educators
The lesson plans, worksheets, maps and images from our 2011 workshop season are available for download here. Topics covered include water quality, diatoms, marine debris, Lake Superior geology, and climate change.
Accompanying teaching kits are available to borrow from Great Lakes Aquarium for free! Contact Samantha Smingler at firstname.lastname@example.org or 218-740-2027 for more information or to reserve a kit.
Other recommended Great Lakes and Ocean Sciences resources:
- Great Lakes in My World: Curriculum, interactive CD-ROM
- Project Wet-Discover Water: Interactive website, games, lessons, and activities
- Greatest of the Great Lakes: A Medley of Model Lessons
- COSEE Great Lakes: Lesson plans, content, grants and professional development opportunities
- Bridge: K-12 Ocean Resources
- Project FLOW: Fisheries Learning on the Web
- Lake Superior Streams: Data, curriculum, and community resources
- Ocean Literacy: Essential Principles and Fundamental Concepts
- US Forest Service: Forests to Faucets
Complete teaching kits are available to borrow for free! Kits include lesson plan, background information, teaching props, and a literacy connection. All kits are aligned to Minnesota Science Academic Standards.
Topics covered include Lake Superior geology, fish morphology and identification, properties of water, Minnesota wetlands, the science of waves and invasive species (zebra mussels).
For more information or to reserve a kit please contact Samantha Smingler at email@example.com or 218-740-2027.