Lake Superior Center dba Great Lakes Aquarium is currently accepting bids/proposals for the following project in conjunction with the upcoming The Amazing World of the Unsalted Seas exhibit. Exhibit is set to open late summer 2016.
Request for Proposals (Bids)
POSTED: September 10, 2015
DUE: Proposal due by 4 p.m. CST, September 24, 2015
Lake Superior Center (LSC) dba Great Lakes Aquarium (GLA) is a non-profit aquarium that “inspires people to explore their connection with Lake Superior and waters of the world” through live animal displays, audio/visual exhibits, interactive exhibits, education programs and outreach. The 62,000 sq. ft. facility is located on the Duluth harbor waterfront. GLA opened in 2000 and has an average annual visitation of 114,000 general visitors, including 10,000 school aged children.
Scope of work
Firm responsibilities include:
- The proposal is for the fabrication and installation of a fiberglass and/or concrete aquarium with acrylic viewing windows. The aquarium will be used as a center piece to a large lakes themed exhibit.
Required tank specifications:
- Fiberglass and/ or concrete aquarium
- Aquarium is 3 feet high
- Two 8 foot acrylic windows
- Two skimmer boxes with 3 inch drain fittings
- Four 3 inch supply fittings
Drawing of tank dimensions:
III. Project schedule
September 24, 2015 – Proposals/bids due to Great Lakes Aquarium (see below).
September 28, 2015 – Proposal selected.
The budget for this fiberglass/concrete aquarium is $75,000.
This budget to include:
Note: budget does not include shipping.
Funding for this project is provided to LSC dba GLA in part by the Arts and Cultural Heritage funding authorized by 2015 Minnesota Session Laws, Chapter 2, Article 4, Section 2, Subdivision 6, clause, for $250,000 in the first year (fiscal year 2016) of the FY15/16 biennium, less two percent, for the State Entity’s administrative costs, for a total of $245,000.
Additional Guidelines for Submitting a Proposal
- Must be able to fabricate off site (all pieces must fit through a 70” X 90” opening).
- Installation of fabricated live animal displays will be completed with assistance from Great Lakes Aquarium staff.
- Proposal due by 4 p.m. CST, September 24, 2015
Director of Operations
Phone: (218) 740-2011
Cell: (218) 260-9106