The Bus Fund supports Great Lakes Aquarium’s mission to inspire people to explore their connection with Lake Superior and waters of the world. We encourage educators who meet the following eligibility requirements to apply for the transportation grants of up to $200. In order to provide opportunities for as many schools as possible, a maximum of one application per grade level from each school will be considered during an academic year. This program offers grants on a rolling basis and will close when all funds are awarded.
- Accredited schools (private, public, charter or parochial) in the following counties:
Minnesota: Koochiking, Itasca, Aitkin, Carlton, Pine, St. Louis, Lake, Crow Wing, Cook, Cass, and Kanabec.
Wisconsin: Douglas, Bayfield, Ashland, Iron, Burnett, Washburn, Sawyer and Price
Michigan: Gogebic and Ontonagon
- Applicants may apply for one grant per school year.
- A maximum of one application per grade level per school will be considered each academic year.
- Only one grant will be awarded per grade level or program.
- One grant will be applied to multiple grade levels traveling together on a single bus (i.e. 2nd and 3rd graders visiting on March 3rd using a single bus qualify for 1 grant of up to $200)
- The funding must be used to support a field trip to Great Lakes Aquarium between January 1 – May 15, 2019.
- Teachers must demonstrate a clear connection between their classroom curriculum, teaching and learning goals and the aquarium visit.
- Applications must be received at least 3 weeks prior to the planned field trip.
- Once the application has been received and the grant has been awarded, recipients will receive an award letter from GLA. Applicants will be notified within two weeks of receiving the application.
- Within 30 days after the visit, grantees must:
- Return a copy of the invoice from the bus company or school district
- Provide the address and name of the reimbursement check recipient
- Complete the online program evaluation form
Please allow 30 days from the time you submit the invoice and teacher evaluation for the reimbursement funds to be sent.
Questions? Contact Emily Wartman at (218) 740-2000 or firstname.lastname@example.org